Enjoy our fascinating hole-in-one facts.
Discover just how special you are!
Looking for recognition products? Check our our PRODUCTS
What constitutes a valid hole in one?
The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole in one. The USGA recommends that a hole in one be considered valid:
- If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole in one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed
- If the player is playing one ball; a hole in one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable
- If attested by an acceptable witness
- If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate
- If made in a “scramble” competition, for example, a Captain’s Choice
What is the chance that a golfer will make a hole in one?
- Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
- Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
- Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1
- Two players from the same foursome acing the same hole: 17 million to 1
- One player making two holes-in-one in the same round: 67 million to 1
Other hole-in-one facts
- There are approximately 450 million rounds of golf played each year in the U.S
- On average each course has about 25,000 – 30,000 rounds played each year
- Each course reports 10-15 hole in ones each year
- A hole in one is scored once every 3,500 golf rounds
- Odds of making a hole in one is 1:3500
- Only 1-2% of golfers score a hole in one during the year
- Average years of playing is 24
- Average handicap of golfers making hole in one is 14
- Age group that makes the most holes in one is 50-59 (25%) and the next highiest is 40-49 (24%)
- Ball used most often is Titleist (45%), Nike (14%), and Top Flite (11%)
- A Hole in One on a par four is called an Albatross
Facts just for women
- 16% of holes in one are made by women
- Average age is 55
- Average years of playing is 15
- Average hole length is 111 yards